“Albums — remember those? Albums still matter. Albums, like books and black lives, still matter.”Prince
I have been listening to albums with intention. I find that streaming lends to more listening of singles as opposed to albums. So I make a very intentional decision to listen to albums.
The thing is an album is a body of work that is made of parts. The parts need to work together to make the whole a good experience for those listening.
- The songs should make sense together
- The songs should have consistent mixing and mastering
- Solid Lyrics
- The order of the tracks should be such that there is no dud – a smooth transition between songs
- The featured artists have to make sense, add value
- Songs have to be worth remembering or have re-listening value.
- The album needs to be vibey
- And this is even more of a personal opinion, an album needs to say something. The different songs come together to tell the listener SOMETHING.
One thought on “What Makes An Album Good: A Personal Opinion”